Thursday, September 22, 2011

New things in Vienna!

I got to meet up with my nannying family again today, except today it was just the Dad and the daughter. I was on time today (yay!) and I meet up with the daughter at the bottom floor of their flat building. I introduced myself to the father when we got to their flat and the father started cooking lunch. His English wasn’t as good as the mother’s but it was still good and I was able to understand most of what he was saying. Especially when he asked if I liked “fish” as he pulled out a bunch of fish from the fridge to make for lunch. For those who know me well, you know I HATE fish. I hate all seafood, but I was not about to get into that with a stranger, in his own home, in a different country, so I said “sure, I’ll eat fish”. I immediately thought, “oh man, what have I gotten myself into?!” haha. We talked and got to know each other while he began cooking lunch and the daughter did her homework.
The father made a fish and noodles dish along with a salad and some bread. I ate almost all of my lunch (it was obviously very filling since we had a lot!). But still, I was proud of myself for eating fish for lunch =P. Also, during lunch the father offered me wine with my dish. I have never been offered wine in the middle of the day before (also while “technically” working!) and of course, I wasn’t going to be rude, so I accepted! Also, the father continued to explain that it was his family’s homemade wine and it was very good. Another reason why I’m enjoying this country =P
When lunch was over, the father said that he was going to also make some Apfel Strudel from scratch with apple’s from their own personal garden! While we waited for him to make the Apfel Strudel, the daughter and I played games like “Monopoly” and “Guess Who?” and thankfully the rules for those games are pretty much the same in every country. When the Strudel was done, we all sat down to eat, the adults with tea and the daughter with hot chocolate. It was a really great day, and it just makes me feel better about living here because I’m more easily able to get around town and I’m just feeling much more comfortable here.

No comments:

Post a Comment