Monday, May 21, 2012

My Journey Home-Bratislava



I’ve been in London for 2 full days now with Kimmy and I’ve been having a blast. What a beautiful city! I’ve loved everything we’ve done so far and I still have 2 whole days left =). Although, starting my trip home started a couple days ago, so I should probably re-cap.

May 18th was my last day in Vienna, so Ben and I went to visit Schönbrunn and walked around a little before settling on a bench to just relax. We sat and talked and enjoyed being there together one last time. We then had a fairly relaxing evening, saw some friends then headed home to get some rest for the busy day ahead.

On May 19th we had some chocolate croissants from Der Mann with coffee before heading to the train station to go to Bratislava (with all my huge bags in tow). We checked the bags at the train station then walked around the city, seeing a few sites, like the Castle there, St. Michael’s Gate, etc. Since we didn’t have a big breakfast we were starting to get hungry so we found a little place (a brewery type restaurant for a local beer) and decided this would be a good place to eat. Plus the fact that a half liter of beer was only 1 Euro 70, also helped make our decision ;). We had some delicious food, Ben got garlic soup that had a bunch of cheese at the bottom, and I got a half chicken in a blue cheese sauce with fries. It was delicious! After that we walked around a little more just exploring the city and saw a few booths with homemade knickknacks and stuff for sale. We checked those out and kind of meandered on back towards the train station where we would take the bus to the Bratislava airport.

We got on the bus with our huge bags and took it on out to the airport. Since I was flying Ryanair their desk didn’t open until about 7 (my flight was at 9) and we got there around 6:30, so we just hung out at the airport which was nice. When the desk finally did open I was nervous to weigh my bags to make sure I kept them under the allotted weight, since it was very expensive if your bags went over. They were supposed to be under 21 kg and under 16 kg and my bags were 20.8 and 15.8 kg. Woot woot! Once huge burden had been lifted and I immediately felt much better about traveling. Ben walked me to security we said our sad good-bye.

As I was going through security my name was called on the speaker overhead, so I asked what that was about. The security agents all said, “ah you is ok” so I moved on. I walked through security, through customs, where the lady seems confused seeing I only had one stamp in it when I came in through Dusseldorf back in September, so I quickly showed her my Vienna ID and she allowed me to pass on through. I settled in near my gate and my name was again called on the overhead speaker. What the heck do they want? They didn’t stop me in security when I went through and I kept telling them all I was the person being called on the intercom. I freaked out a little when I realized I had to go back to security, so I did and quickly told and agent that I was the person they had been calling and asked them what to do. “You wait here madame.” Oooohhh kkaaaay. I waited while the agent went in the back room to get another man who then came out and asked me to follow him. Oh my gosh, do they think I’m some sort of threat to security? What’s wrong? He quickly asks me if I have a lighter in my bag (which I had bought as a souvenir for a friend of mine) so I tell him “yes” and he says you can’t have that in your checked baggage. Well ok, this sucks I guess I have to throw it out now. So I got to my bag in the bag room, then removed the lighter and gave it to him, he looked at it and told me to put it in my pocket. Ok? I was glad I didn’t have to throw it away, but I was confused as to what kind of security rules allow you to have fire on your person, but not in your checked bags. Oh well.

The rest of the trip was fairly calm, waited to get on the plane, with the typical Ryanair mad dash to the plane. I had terrible expectations for Ryanair, but it wasn’t too bad, so that was nice. Besides the screaming baby behind me, the flight overall was fairly uneventful.



The "RyanAir" Mad Dash to get the best seats!
Now I know I’m in London now, but I think I’ll hold off on my London blog until after I get home.  So I know you all are on the edge of your seats, but you’ll just have to wait to hear about my London trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment