Monday, March 26, 2012

Sacher Torte & A Baby


Only approximately 8 more weeks for me left in Vienna. I can’t believe how quickly time is passing! I leave Vienna on May 19th, then go to London for a few days to visit Kimmy and see the sights. I’m trying to enjoy everything here with Ben, but as I’ve stated in the past, it’s exciting to think about going home to see my family and friends.

One of the main things I wanted to try to do before going home was to practice making the Viennese specialty, the Sacher Torte. Yesterday, I invited some friends over for the day so we could attempt to make the Sacher Torte as well as some other baking goods like chocolate chunk cookies and hot cross buns. The Sacher Torte recipe I had was in German from the Hotel Sacher Cookbook, so I needed Tessa and Ann’s help to translate and it was quite the complicated and detailed process. We spent most of the day making the batter the perfect consistency, allowing the cake to bake, then letting it cool, cutting it up to make a Marillen Marmalade layer, then making the icing to cover the cake with. We all had a part and we were glad we were all there to attempt the first Sacher Torte we’d ever made. Now hopefully the next time I’ll need minimal help haha. Later that evening we all had a piece and from the feedback it sounded like many people thought it tasted fairly similar to the Original Sacher Torte, so now I will be able to use this recipe in the future. There are a few things that I would think I would try to tweek for next time, but overall it turned out very well.

Another big thing that happened this weekend is that the Easter Market opened at Schönbrunn! We went there on Saturday but just got to look around quickly, so we will be going back sometime soon to try the g’spritz Wein as well as the yummy food. Well and of course do some shopping! They had a lot of beautiful booths with lots of fun gifts to buy. I can’t wait to go back and shop!

For those of you who didn’t see, Ben and I also became and Aunt and Uncle this weekend when Ben’s younger sister gave birth to a 9 lbs. 1.06 oz, 20 in, Azaileeya Rose at 4:05 am on March 25th, 2012. We welcome this little girl and can’t wait to see her when we get home.


No comments:

Post a Comment