Wednesday, November 2, 2011

What I miss....

It’s already November and we’ve been in Vienna for over 6 weeks now. I can’t believe how quickly time is passing! Well first I have to get some of the unfortunate issues in place. Unfortunately due to complications back in California we STILL haven’t been able to turn in all the paperwork needed to apply for Residency. This is becoming a potentially bad situation, because we don’t know how long it will take for the residency paperwork to go through, and worst case scenario I’ll have to leave in December because I didn’t get my residency. Please keep us in your prayers while we continue with the process of applying for residency.
Other than issues with paperwork, our time here has been going well. I’ve been having a fun time with the family I nanny doing different things each day, and overall just loving getting to know the very nice family that I am working with. Yesterday was Halloween and for the after school English course we had a little Halloween party complete with sweets (I’m still recovering from all the sugar I had yesterday).
Last week was pretty calm, but Ben and I did get to see another opera, “Fidelo” by Beethoven. It was really awesome, and had such amazing music! Besides the amazing music, the sets and costumes were so elaborate and were breath taking. I mean they had a working drawbridge on stage in the final act, quite impressive.
Today was a holiday in Austria so since most things were closed we decided to go a little out of the city limits to walk through the woods to see all the changing colors of the leaves. It was pretty chilly but overall a great time. After our walk through the woods we went to a Chinese restaurant for lunch, it was delicious and it was nice to have something a little more close to restaurants that are in America.
Recently, since we’ve been gone now for over 6 weeks, I’ve been starting to get a little home sick. So I’ve started a little list of the things that I miss most:
1.       My Family (Mommy, Daddy, brothers, Aunts, Uncles, cousins-I miss them all so much!)
2.       My Murray boy. Every week when I Skype with my parents I get to see him, but he doesn’t understand what’s going on so it’s not as fun as I would hope. Vienna is so dog friendly, and I see dogs everywhere, and whenever I see a beagle I get a little choked up thinking about my spoiled little Murray.
3.       My friends- Mainly Chelsea haha. When walking around town and something makes me laugh, I’ll immediately tell Ben, but sometimes he doesn’t get the joke, so it’s times like those that make me miss my friend because I know she would laugh along with me =)
4.       Starbucks-Yes they have Starbucks here, but to be honest now that I’ve had real Austrian coffee, I know that it is of much better quality. However, as the holiday season begins I really start missing the special holiday Starbucks drinks (Peppermint White Mocha) in the red Christmas cups. I basically miss when I could get a Starbucks and blend in as opposed to here where having a Starbucks makes me stand out.
5.       Food-Knowing how picky I am about food, I didn’t think I would enjoy much of the new food here, but thankfully I’m really enjoying trying to new food here. However, I do miss certain types of food from back home. In-N-Out for example, and good ‘ol fashioned Mexican food. There’s only 2 Mexican Restaurants here in Vienna (and apparently one is a gay bar-don’t ask me how I know that), I haven’t tried the Mexican food yet, but I’m excited to try it.
6.       American TV- I’m enjoying trying to learn German by watching the Simpsons, or old Nickelodeon cartoons in German, but sometimes I just wish I could watch one of my trashy reality shows and relax. Besides television shows, I greatly miss watching the Sharks! All the games are on in the middle of the night here (like around 3 am) so I have yet to listen/watch a game, and I feel like I’m having hockey with drawls =(
7.       Text messaging- ‘nuff said. I can’t just shoot a text to someone when I have something to say to them.
8.       ABC- When I left my job at ABC I was super excited for this new adventure, and thought it would be a nice time for a break. Even though, I truly am enjoying the break, I really miss my kids, and I want to know if they are still progressing the way they were when I left. I hope they remember me, because when I get back I’d love to come by and visit all of them.
9.       Target/Walmart-Yes I know this makes me sound like a cheap ‘Murican, but I really do miss the convenience and price of these shops. We were only able to pack so much when we came here, and now that it’s getting really cold, I need to go shopping. But instead of being able to go to just one store and find a bunch of stuff for cheap, I have to go to a bunch of different stores trying to find things that fit.
10.   Church Family- I like to think that I have a few church families. Cambrian Park Church, RBCR, and the Esswein family church. I miss being able to go to church on Sunday and chat with the people I see to catch up. I miss feeling like part of the family. While here we’ve gone to a few churches, but they aren’t as intimate where everyone knows everyone. I would love to find a church to get involved in here, so make sure you continue to pray for us to find a consistent church while here.

No comments:

Post a Comment